CITY OF PALO ALTO
RAIN CLOSURE POLICY
Athletic use of fields wet or saturated may cause extensive field damage resulting in field closure and costly renovations. If the condition of the field is marginal at best, it is always better to reschedule your game rather than risk damaging the field and having it taken out of use. Please use good judgment in all of your use of our fields.
The following DO NOT apply to the artificial fields at Mayfield and El Camino Park. At these locations, referees will decide whether games are safe to be played in current game time conditions.
The following procedure applies to periods of rainfall, over-watered fields and/or irrigation breaks.
1. The fields are closed anytime during a rainfall.
2. In the event of a heavy rainfall (anything more than a light drizzle on a dry field), the fields are closed for a minimum period of 48 hours.
3. Additional closure time may be needed if there has been heavy rains and the fields are saturated. If this is the case, we will contact the authorized agent for each of the groups affected.
4. Failure to abide by these policies may result in the forfeiture of field deposit and/or loss of use of the fields.
5. If a field is closed for more than the minimum time indicated above, the field coordinator will notify all affected user groups of the closure and establish a date the fields will be reopened.
City of Palo Alto Contact List:
Rain Closure Hotline: 329-2697
Irrigation Breaks: Parks Dept.: 496-6950 (weekdays)
Communications: 329-2413 (weekends)
Field Supervisor: Eric Christensen 463-4929